Vocal Coach Reacts To Luther VanDross | A House is not a Home | Live | Ken Tamplin

January 14, 2020

Hey gang welcome back again to Ken Tamplin
Vocal Academy where the proof is in the singing. This is going to be a special
video for my singer friends out there because I’ve been wanting to do a vocal
coach reacts to Luther Vandross for a really long time and for a very specific
reason Luther is a master at mixed voice and probably a lot of people don’t know
how much I really like him and appreciate his talent but let’s just go
ahead and dive into it and we’ll talk about it along the way here we go. I haven’t seen this so I’m hoping this is gonna be everything I’d hoped it
would be. So let’s check it out. A house not a home it’s live at the NAACP awards. I love his charisma. You got Dionne Warwick in the
audience. Okay. Now okay so again talk about mixed voice. (sings) right. Now
is he in chest and just using a lot of air. Is he in mixed voice down low or
is he just still in chest the whole time or is he entirely in head voice. You kind
of never know with him he’s that good at it right. He’s actually in mixed (sings) right he’s mixing his sound down
really low. Now he’s notorious for being able to mix really low, mix really high,
have a percentage of chest head mix anywhere in his vocal spectrum, his vocal
registration and the dude is just awesome. He’s gnarly man but let’s
continue to go rock here here we go. See that mix. Hear that. He’s mixing all over the place. So he’s not one just one voice. He’s sure got them in the palm of his hand that’s for sure. (sings) The tone the warmth of his sound is just off the
charts beautiful it’s like Barry White but not quite as no girthy but he’s got that
beautiful warm airy tone. His pitch is just spot-on, he’s got these sexy notes
and I love his charisma. He’s – it’s a very unpretentious sound. It’s not like you know you’re being forced to listen to this sound and he draws you into his sound
instead of you know demanding that you listen to it. So it’s very winsome so I
love that about it too. It’s just all the way around man it’s really cool. You can kind of like listen to it all day. You know what I mean. His vowels (sings). Good vowel placement. There’s that air. Good note. Did you (sings). He pulls it back in a really super
like a seamless head…chest mix. He pulls it back in a head. Now like I said he’s
one of the few guys that I know of in the R&B world that actually sing a high C
you know c5 for male tenor, belt it and then you know piano it’s called you
know (piano mezzo Forte) Forte and piano. You know come piano all the way back into a
mixed voice right or a chest resonance sound and then go back into that full
belting sound and that is very difficult to do so. So he goes from mezzo piano, mezzo forte from forte backword. Mixed voice. I love his confidence too. He’s got this perfect vowel placements.
You know guys have this singing course out and I know I talk about all the time but it’s
called How to Sing Better Than Anyone Else and I show you exactly how all this
stuff is done, how you can achieve it you can do this. Takes some time this..he did
not just walk in and all of a sudden start singing like this. You know he had
to work at this too. It took him a while I’m sure to figure some stuff out
but he is certainly a master and we learned from the Masters and he
absolutely is one of those guys that we can learn a lot from so let’s continue. There’s that mix pulling back. I’m gonna go ahead and stop here because it
goes on for it looks like another couple minutes doing the kind of similar
stuff but anyway do you guys get that (sings) that you know mixed voice or all the way
back in head voice in a really low position and bring in chest and pull
it back in a max and back forth that is some singing brothers. So anyway thank
you for joining me Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy where the proof is in the singing.
Hope you guys enjoyed it if you like what you heard please like and subscribe
to my channel and until next time peace out. Hey guys if you like what you
heard please LIKE and SUBSCRIBE to my Channel by clicking on the SUBSCRIBE
button. That will actually take you to another page where you want to click on
the Bell icon and it opens up a menu and the menu has notifications on it where
there’s a little box you can check, where it says send me all notifications for
this channel. Check the box and then click the SAVE button and you’ll get
notifications from me, every time I have a cool video come out. Okay thanks guys
peace out.

• Reply Miroslav Tanaskovic January 9, 2020 at 6:01 pm

Those people are born this way and that is something that you can learn in technical way but that tone and soul sory folks you no what i talking about.Serbia love soul brothers across the ocean.

• Reply John Lopez January 9, 2020 at 6:03 pm

Absolutely enjoyed it! All the best!

• Reply Mark Esquivel Arvizu January 9, 2020 at 6:06 pm

Hi Ken you used the term Vowel Placement several times. I don't see it in the course Glossary of Vocal Terms. Can you define this please? Thanks!

• Reply Volenhag January 9, 2020 at 6:07 pm

I love Luther!!!

• Reply jesus magat January 9, 2020 at 6:08 pm

where is now the zayn malik vocal reaction

• Reply Patrick Karijowidjojo January 9, 2020 at 6:14 pm

Dear Ken!! I wanted to badly hear what you had to say about his grand finale!!!!! 😭😭😭😭 Oh noooooo now I'll never get to know hahahahaha

• Reply Steve Shortt January 9, 2020 at 6:23 pm

He died way too young. .what a God given talent

• Reply Lana Martin January 9, 2020 at 6:27 pm

Was worth to listen to the end. This is probably Luther’s greatest performance imo. The greatest silky voice of all time. Just makes you warm inside and out. And the man knew it!

• Reply newageassholes January 9, 2020 at 6:35 pm

I can sing very soulfully in the shower… And if I grab the right parts in the shower I can hit those Mariah Carey notes. ☺

• Reply Vladimir Putin January 9, 2020 at 6:36 pm

I saw him once when in USA.
    Opening act was Sinbad.
    Love me some Luther 😍

• Reply kelly higgins January 9, 2020 at 6:40 pm

Beautiful I love his scat great choice may he R.I.P. Ken, do you have any remedies to offer example, hot tea to sooth and care for your voice before & after singing ? I worry as I'm older about this aging voicebox brings home the bacon thankful always, a pleasure! Also how about David Coverdale what ya think of him? Blessings 😊

• Reply Getis Realis January 9, 2020 at 6:49 pm

Yeah awesome mixed tone, in and out falsetto without any detectable cracking. Very good use of crescendos. The epitome of R&B.

• Reply Kimberly Barrett January 9, 2020 at 6:55 pm

These type videos are so helpful with learning the difference in head and mix. Can you do a reaction video to El Debarge “I Like It.” I would love to see what you think of his falsetto!

• Reply Soaribb January 9, 2020 at 7:05 pm

He was such a king.

• Reply Tiago Assis January 9, 2020 at 7:07 pm

Such smooth transitions, great analysis!

• Reply AKSebi2 January 9, 2020 at 7:07 pm

Hey! love your videos and energy, could you please react to "Guns N' Roses – You're Crazy live 1988 at the late show" !! awesome performance!

• Reply Kommander Kronk January 9, 2020 at 7:08 pm

I just got an advertisement for the superiors singing method on this video made me chuckle a bit

• Reply Ramunas Remeika January 9, 2020 at 7:23 pm

Beautiful 👍

• Reply PlanetJ32 January 9, 2020 at 7:24 pm

Raise your hand if you own some of the 80s slow jam or smooth groove tapes!
    *raises hand*
    Luther was so smooth..he left us way to soon!

• Reply Сергей Протасов January 9, 2020 at 7:24 pm

Michael Buble, please!

• Reply Martha Welch January 9, 2020 at 7:28 pm

This song is very personal to me so I started crying (even during your reaction). When my cat noticed, she immediately ran over to me, sat down on just two legs, and used her front paws to wipe away my tears.

This song is another masterpiece by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, sung by the "talent by God" Luther.

Excellent review by you, Ken, and thank you.

• Reply Никола Филиповић January 9, 2020 at 7:41 pm

Please, Ken, react to Rachelle Ferrell. She is a master of mixed voice. She's got 6 octaves vocal range! :))))

• Reply jcoulter43 January 9, 2020 at 7:53 pm

Gone too soon! Luther was one of the greatest, if not the greatest R&B singers of all time. I too could listen to him for hours. One of the closest people I can think of that captures some of that same magic is Michael Tait. Natalie Cole and Michael English in their primes could give him a run for his money too. Thanks for sharing and God Bless bro!

• Reply Robert S. January 9, 2020 at 7:56 pm

That's real talent that really doesn't exist anymore. Old R&B & Motown had many talented artists.

• Reply d oliver January 9, 2020 at 8:04 pm

Hey Ken happy that you mentioned the legendary iconic Ms. Dionne Warwick!! Luther did a fantastic job on honoring Ms. Warwick that night. He admires Ms. Dionne so much and have stated that she is definitely a pioneer, she is his favorite, and that he have learned so much from her vocally. I can certainly tell that he learned from her as well from his vocal delivery, mannerisms, and performance style. You should do a reaction on Ms. Dionne. Here is a suggestion: "After you/I'll Never Love This way again live 1982" performance. React to second half of video where she sings "Never Love this Again". You will see what I mean 😁😊👍

• Reply Frank Raffa January 9, 2020 at 8:11 pm

He is such a legend. So sad he's no longer with us.

• Reply Dave Bondera January 9, 2020 at 8:30 pm

❤️❤️❤️ The proof is the singing, great video Ken

• Reply Chad Herrin January 9, 2020 at 8:31 pm

I've been waiting for you to react to Luther. Man he was awesome! I'd say the best R and B singer of all time.

• Reply Professor Nadine Lima January 9, 2020 at 8:37 pm

Hi Ken, I saw Luther live back in the early 1990’s, and what an Awesome show. Singer Lisa Fischer was one of his background singers (What a range she has). Thank you so much for this reaction video!

• Reply Rosannasfriend January 9, 2020 at 8:42 pm

Great reaction.

• Reply Vocality January 9, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Ken, Luther Vandross had so much quality in his voice, it's very informative how you also explain the techniques he applyed and there's alot to learn from your reactions to these great singers!!!

• Reply Jorge Luis Jones January 9, 2020 at 8:53 pm

One of greatest male singers of all time, if there's such a thing as a Mount Olympus of the voice, he surely would be there

• Reply xXSpiKeXx24553 January 9, 2020 at 9:05 pm

Omg you did react! Amazing!

• Reply theonlyredspecial January 9, 2020 at 9:09 pm

I’m man enough to admit he had such an incredible tone. I used to listen to his records In the 80s and 90s and just admire the great tunes and vocal dexterity. He was the master of chill out, feel good music. So amazing was one of my favourites.

• Reply abovethefirehouse January 9, 2020 at 9:14 pm

Dione originally recorded this song.

• Reply tigerback62 January 9, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Thank You for this reaction. Luther, you are loved and missed.

• Reply ShavingSeagull January 9, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Couldn't help but smile the entire time. Luther always has that effect for me! Unbelievably beautiful voice. Thanks for covering it, Ken!

• Reply steve young January 9, 2020 at 9:32 pm

A phenomenal singer ! And he had the power to hold you in the palm of his hand with that voice.

• Reply Damian Pinson III January 9, 2020 at 9:53 pm

Sir Ken please do reaction in the song of Dionne Warwick with Luther, Stevy and Whitney "that's what friends are for 😊😊😊. Big fan here from Philippines

• Reply Toy Boy January 9, 2020 at 10:21 pm

better I will never open my mouth again

• Reply L January 9, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Oooh! Luther! So glad to see this. Great rundown and explanation. Thanks!

• Reply chris dwarica January 9, 2020 at 10:42 pm

Nice one Ken! Luther truly was AMAZING!! I was a huge fan of his higher stuff too

• Reply Kelvin Tovar January 9, 2020 at 10:57 pm

Amazing!! Thanks for introduce me this amazing singer !

• Reply Denzzell120 January 9, 2020 at 11:00 pm

Effortless performance!

• Reply RJ January 9, 2020 at 11:05 pm

Great vocalist, he had hypertension and diabetes and died young, keep an eye on your blood pressure throughout your lives everyone.

• Reply Wan One January 9, 2020 at 11:24 pm

Dimash plssss ken

• Reply bruno carvalho January 10, 2020 at 12:04 am

Ken please react to gao tianhe

• Reply Samuel Duclosel January 10, 2020 at 12:41 am

Do Dionne Warwick's version please!

• Reply afr malatesta January 10, 2020 at 12:47 am

LUTHER ❗❗ suggestion….please…johnny mathis?

• Reply ImaDoozy ForReal January 10, 2020 at 1:38 am

LOVE LUTHER! A beautiful man with a beautiful voice and ability to use it.

• Reply muhdhiv 6661dham January 10, 2020 at 1:38 am

Joan baez – donna donna

• Reply Karen Lovett January 10, 2020 at 1:43 am

Oh wow! I love his voice. He was extraordinary.

• Reply Ronda Adams January 10, 2020 at 2:51 am

Can you imagine what heaven sounds like. He has a wonderful voice gone to soon like many other. What a choir there is in heaven.

• Reply Cilloux972 January 10, 2020 at 3:11 am

Wow! So happy to hear your reaction! Luther is my favorite singer ever! I raised my thumb before I saw the video!
    I remember the first time I saw Luther at the Grand Rex, in Paris thirty years ago, in an intimate concert, with the wonderful Lisa Fischer in the first part. He came to the audience before the concert. I was sitting in front of him and he shook my hand. His voice and presence were awesome, and I knew that no one could surpass him musically in my life.

• Reply Dizzle 75 January 10, 2020 at 3:20 am

Uh oh!..Your subscribers are up to 777 (k)..You should now do a video for Danzig..Mother is his best song..You can wear your MISFITS shirt that's been in your closet since the 80's😂😂😂😂

• Reply Roxanne H January 10, 2020 at 3:46 am

I was born and raised on the Motown sound and you will never find any genre that gives you more in the way of emotion and connectivity with the audience. I'm curious what your thoughts are on another great, Al Jarreau.

• Reply The Thought Provoker January 10, 2020 at 3:53 am

I Really get it Ken 🙂 thanks man! Hallelujah

• Reply Dan Scharnau January 10, 2020 at 4:07 am

We don't have talent like this anymore. Classic

• Reply Drayton Thomas Jaymes January 10, 2020 at 4:17 am

Ever thought of reacting to Peabo Bryson or James Ingram since you’re in the r&b realm? Cool as always Ken!

• Reply Tina Carter January 10, 2020 at 5:03 am

Can you please react to Patti labelle- forever young, Soul Train 25th anniversary, 1995

• Reply Group Break Checklists January 10, 2020 at 5:36 am

Can you do Maxwell – This Woman's Work cover (MTV unplugged) performance. Not so much for his voice which probably was destined to be lost, but for this specific performance. One of the reasons why i think this would be a good one to do is that there are many that think this performance is one of the best live rnb performances ever and others that hated it because of different reasons once of which its kate bush's song. I personally thing performing this must have destroyed his voice over the years. He has had alot of trouble with his voice in the last decade or so.

• Reply Group Break Checklists January 10, 2020 at 5:37 am

also, i love singers that are good at their craft..where you can really dissect the nuances of what they are doing.

• Reply Infinite Fantasy January 10, 2020 at 5:37 am

Ken, i requested you to do another streak of these older videos and so I’m happy! It shows tons of versatility and please, please, please do Patti LaBelle “over the rainbow” at the Apollo she has ton of rock qualities to her performance style and voice.

• Reply Dave Given January 10, 2020 at 6:01 am

One of the great things that Luther does is that he'll over anunnciate the consonants with his breathiness. He said he sings songs about falling in love instead of making love. He captures you in the moment. Thanks for the review, Ken.

• Reply The Official Andy Saenz January 10, 2020 at 6:13 am

Luther's voice is SILK! It's absolutely smooth and beautiful.

• Reply Miss Piggy January 10, 2020 at 6:27 am

Yes I love and miss Luther!♥️♥️♥️

• Reply jay kay January 10, 2020 at 8:33 am

Loved this but how can you cut that performance off? Ouch! Now I have to go listen to the rest I remember it well.
    Hey I got an ad for another vocal coach at the end. ….noooooo that's just wrong! 🤓

• Reply Lee Culver January 10, 2020 at 9:17 am

His voice is effortless & so smooth , no strain or trying too hard , id love to hold an audience in the palm of my hand like that , until then I will just have to watch him on repeat ! .

• Reply Никита Кудрицкий January 10, 2020 at 9:24 am

OMG KEN THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE LUTHER💕💕💕

• Reply Gillian Omotoso January 10, 2020 at 10:05 am

He was! And that cry

• Reply Gillian Omotoso January 10, 2020 at 10:16 am

3:37 — KEN

• Reply Gillian Omotoso January 10, 2020 at 10:30 am

I enjoy this milder selection, Ken. It’s a reminder that range isn’t everything; beautiful singing needn’t be on the verge of a controlled scream. This really made me appreciate the power of technique.

• Reply Fred Carrillo January 10, 2020 at 11:00 am

You should do a reactions video for Bobby Caldwell. I propose either his best hit "What you won't do for Love" or his duet with Vanessa Williams "Baby it's cold Outside". They did a live one for Jay Leno and the video is on Youtube.

• Reply Ppriya Gaur January 10, 2020 at 11:30 am

Hey..
    Today my vocal teacher kind of scared me. She said i need to recognize sound before song and if you can't tone deaf is the main reason
    But the thing is she is not telling me properly how do i train myself or my ear or any exercises for that .
    She is just sing this note sing that note ohhhh you can't.. too bad
    can you please make a really helpful video on this topic and if you have pleeaazzzeee guide me to that video.

• Reply MrGetoDac January 10, 2020 at 12:08 pm

I know this video. Killer!!!! 5:22 "I love his confidence too". Well when you are that damn good hahhahahaha

• Reply Jessi Brunson January 10, 2020 at 12:18 pm

Wow!! What a voice…gotta love Luther 💙 I had some of those late 80's cassettes 😊

• Reply alabaster2308 January 10, 2020 at 1:25 pm

Oh I LOVE you for doing that reaction! Because I LOVE Luther Vandross and this version of the song! Thank you so much! 🙂

• Reply Ольга Беляева January 10, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Good health, Ken! It is very interesting to know your opinion about this vocal https://youtu.be/mve3-fEuTHA https://youtu.be/35Dwo4QVLqs Diana ankudinova. In this video, she is 14 years old. She's from Russia.

• Reply Naythan Kemp January 10, 2020 at 4:25 pm

Great video, and thanks for all your hard work making these videos.

I'm going through a tough time at the moment, and these videos are helping me.

Thank you!

• Reply Marlon January 10, 2020 at 6:28 pm

You should consider listening to his duet with Mariah. It's absolutely incredible.

• Reply apainterinahurry January 10, 2020 at 7:31 pm

Hey Ken, not sure if you've done this or not but I thought I'd send you the link. This is "Plush" live in 2010 and one heck of a version too. Here is the link > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXOd8J4cbo4

• Reply Attila Bata January 10, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Woah! Instant goosebumps guaranteed. His voice is magical. 👏

• Reply Michael Wilson January 10, 2020 at 9:33 pm

Remember when Luther was a backing vocalist for David Bowie during the Young Americans era?

• Reply David Lane January 11, 2020 at 12:53 am

Ken, can you please share your thoughts and hopefully stories about Neil Pert?
    I don't typically fill with sadness over celebrity death, but this one hurts terribly.
    God, please stay awhile during this time with the Pert family.

• Reply Nic Wanavit January 11, 2020 at 1:39 am

my favourite singer of all time

• Reply Nate J January 11, 2020 at 1:48 am

Oh, you need to see his version of "A Change Gonna Come LIve". LUTHER is one of the best male vocalists ever.. Its a shame not many vocal coaches online react too often to these great R&B/Soul singers, as they have a LOT to teach.

• Reply neowa January 11, 2020 at 6:03 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r675KbqslCs Rachelle Ferrell really showcasing her range and control here.

• Reply LOVELIFEFREE January 11, 2020 at 4:59 pm

Flawless

• Reply Stephan De L'ange January 11, 2020 at 5:08 pm

Dont care what anyone has to say about it, but Luther is and will always be the greatest vocalist ever. he can't be matched. As you said, a mix master!

• Reply Benji Martin January 11, 2020 at 11:05 pm

Luther had one of the smoothest and most beautiful tenor voices ever. He's truly unforgettable.

• Reply dan January 12, 2020 at 2:15 am

Amazing reaction video Ken !! Favorite ! Amazing Voice!!! ❤️

• Reply dwftube January 12, 2020 at 5:04 am

I saw Luther live four times – he was flawless. THE Master!

• Reply Ming Wu January 12, 2020 at 5:25 am

@4.28 think this is called Messa di voce

• Reply renovatio renovatio January 12, 2020 at 8:45 pm

I think only Aaron Neville has similar level of mixed voice …another suggestion!!

• Reply TheDarkAbyss 23 January 12, 2020 at 9:48 pm

Luther is still The Greatest!!!! Can you do Rachelle Ferrell live at the Apollo "With Open Arms"?

• Reply Groovy Gal January 12, 2020 at 11:27 pm

Thanks KT for a phenomenal example! ✌️🤟💕🤓🎶

• Reply Vin Mancarella January 12, 2020 at 11:59 pm

Hey Ken. First time requesting a vocal coach reacts. How about Heatwave – Always and Forever? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3DSQTDGMxY. Would love to hear your reaction to a similar voice. He's not Luthor but had a great range and was smooth with the transitions from chest to mixed to head. Thanks.

• Reply Andrea B January 13, 2020 at 1:34 am

Oh my! The king of sweet seduction! Luther was the master both of his voice and his audience. You could never take your eyes off of him on stage or on screen, nor could you ignore his voice when it came on through the radio. Hypnotic, seductive and soulful. I firmly believe that given some basic melody he could've sang from the Yellow Pages ( you youngsters out there just have to google that LOL) and make it sound sexy. Every joy and every heartache was amplified by his incredible smooth voice. He was a legend. Thanks for reminding us all of his unique talent.

• Reply Dan Biegler January 13, 2020 at 4:07 pm

This makes me think of how much I love Gladys Knight.

• Reply Gavin Adam January 14, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Seriously, what kind/name of your shirt?