The Old Ways of Music | Rolling With Steve Harvey

September 18, 2019

(upbeat music) (clapping) – [Steve Harvey] I use to go to concerts all the time man. Cause you had to concerts
to see your groups. Wasn’t nothing digital so you had to go. (Beep) The first one, let me see. First one I snuck into at Leo’s Casino on 55th
and Euclid in Cleveland. I rode my bike down there and crawled in the basement. Watched the OJ’s when I was 15 years old cause my brothers went. (clapping) I’ve seen everybody that way. I’ve seen everybody live that was of greatness. I don’t care who it was I saw them live. Earth, Wind and Fire, The Commodores, LTD, Blue Magic, The Dramatics, The Chi-Lights, The Isley Brothers. Man, Frankie Beverly and Maze. I went to see Chicago live. I saw the Bee Gees live. I saw Toto live. I saw the Average White Band. Average White Band was the group. No that’s KC and the Sunshine Band. I’m a music expert. Yeah they was bad. KC and the Sunshine Band was bad. But the greatest white band, soul music, was Average White Band. Average White Band, them boys. They were the first white band to ever go on Soul Train and play live. Cause you know Soul Train
didn’t play live music. But their drummer was black. They were from Scotland. He said look man we going over here these boys, they don’t think it’s us. So they went on, go on YouTube and look it up. Go look up Average White
Band on Soul Train. (Beep) performance was amazing man. Great, I love. (Beep) I was listening to AWB, we call them AWB, Average White Band the other day. I got everything they ever made man. Average White Band. You missed the coldest. Them dudes from Scotland
had so much soul man. I’m a start a YouTube page to show you what music really was cause yall millennials yall missed it man. Yall Average White Band, oh these (beep) was cold. Pick up the Pieces, If I Ever Lose This Heaven, Cloudy, School Boy Crush, Queen of My Soul. We use to go to clubs we slow danced. Yall don’t know nothing bout that. See in the hood you could play four fast records in a row but if you try to play the fifth we going to the DJ booth, “My man, what the (beep) you think we in here for? It’s women in here, we gotta get close.” See we had to get close cause wasn’t no cell phones. So I got to get this conversation started. Cause I can’t text her. I ain’t gonna be able to talk to her till the next time I see her. Cause she probably live with her momma, can’t call they house. Goddamn fathers back then, don’t call this motherfucking house click. Wasn’t no call waiting so if you was on the phone line, stay off the phone so case somebody trying to call with an emergency. See yall missed all that (beep). So men actually had
conversations with women. They actually talked to women. And it was smooth wasn’t no texting. Yall missed that. That (beep) was cold. You had to get a girls attention and hold it till the
next time you saw her. Man do you know how good you had to be to get a girl to remember you? But you had to say stuff, that’s why the music
was so sweet back then. Cause you wrote songs about how you felt about women. The lyrics now, this (beep) has changed. We done (beep) music up. Cause we ain’t got no you can’t repeat that (beep) in front of your momma. Yall got songs, I got (beep) in different area codes. They got a song out called, move (beep) get out the way get out the way. Who the (beep) does that? Man they had some good (beep) music man. (Clapping) (upbeat music)

• Reply outlawrickenbacker September 18, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Mr Harvey is absolutely 100 percent correct.

• Reply C. Sexton September 18, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Yes! AWB was the bomb, so was groups like the Ohio Players and Funkadelic. Even offshoots of these groups like Junie Morrison had some cold beats. Yeah Harvey was right, they missed it! Please make that YT channel!!

• Reply Lex Mafia September 18, 2019 at 1:35 pm

Man I was born in 92' and low income man I can relate exactly what he saying

• Reply Kimberly English September 18, 2019 at 1:39 pm

FACTS!!! And I'm a millennial….i LOVE anything from the 60s or 70s!!! The Best music!

• Reply ROSSELLA DI PEDE September 18, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Think about Queen, the Beatles, the Aerosmith, the U2, …

• Reply maria kiriakou September 18, 2019 at 2:02 pm

• Reply DigitalMarketing Humans September 18, 2019 at 2:16 pm

I literally just listened and YouTubed Average White Band. This is the first time hearing them. I have to say, it’s not my cup of tea, BUT damn it, those guys are insanely talented! I’m a musician who usually does more heavy rock. I truly have a lot of appreciation and respect for this band now. Crazy man.

It lives in the soul, beyond any race or creed or gender. It’s all in there.

Thanks Steve!

• Reply MR. BIGGZ September 18, 2019 at 3:10 pm

Lol but you show was spitting facts though Steve. 80s/90s was the best years to me

• Reply GeekX sir September 18, 2019 at 3:20 pm

100% Correct sir!

Born 91’ all I grew up on were the classics in my house. Earth Wind & Fire, Tony, Toney, Tonie, Sadie, Prince, Gap Band, The Fugees, Lenny Williams, and so on.

Music was REAL! None of this Mumble rap, b***, and f** that. Old school music taught you how to love and talk to a woman (in person, not text). Back when you had to be smart when you talked to a girl so her big brothers or dad don’t hunt you down.

• Reply LVNCSR September 18, 2019 at 3:38 pm

SCHOOL AND EDUCATE THEM, STEVE!!! AND, Please make that YT Channel!!!! ASAP:)

• Reply Amya Reed September 18, 2019 at 3:53 pm

I love how both the songs he mentioned were both ludacris😂

• Reply Georgia peach September 18, 2019 at 4:01 pm

I love how Steve always speaks the truth.

• Reply michelle thomas September 18, 2019 at 4:08 pm

REAL MUSIC

• Reply DANXEPX2 September 18, 2019 at 4:21 pm

He is correct but he is alos uninformed or unaware of good music that exist today. Just lije he did whatever he could to listen to the older music you gotta do whatever you gotta do to find the good new music….. its good music out here you just gotta look and stop feeding on whag the media shoves down our throats 🤷🏿‍♂️!

• Reply Greased Lightning September 18, 2019 at 5:07 pm