Dave Smith Instruments Prophet’08 Demo&Review [English Captions]

August 13, 2019

Hello, Ujiie here again. The Prophet 08! Look at this. “Eight Voice Analog Synthesizer.” It’s analog, OK?! Uh, the insides of this synth well, there are two oscillators, which happen to be DCOs, analog nonetheless, and an analog filter. ALL ANALOG! And as you’d expect, it sounds GOOD! Wonderful! Don’t you think so? Ok. Let’s get back to playing it and check out some sounds. Can you hear what’s going on with the panning here? That’s really good. The panning is different for each voice you play. The DCO mod is routed to pan. This next one is pretty extravagant too. Now if THAT isn’t ANALOG, then nothing is! By the way there are no effects on this whatsoever. Fantastic! Strings. In a league of its own, unquestionably. And the filter? Superb. Out of this world. Switch it to 4-Pole and it gets even stronger. The Resonance is also top notch. That’s so good. It’s just like a Prophet 5, the way this filter works, especially. Fantastic! They’ve really done a great job here. Bass. Yes. There’s a Unison mode here too. Super fat! Awesome! How about this sound? Now that… Ah can you zoom in here for me? The Prophet 08 has an onboard sequencer. A 4-track sequencer. And these LEDs here indicate the 16 steps. You see? I was glad to see sounds like this next one included. This kind of, what, soft/quiet pad? Pulse waveform, right? Yeah. Fantastic! There are NO onboard effects, ok?! Even so, you can make great sounds like these! Even the Prophet 5 didn’t have an arpeggiator! Damn. Good. Sound. Another one with the sequencer active. Holy sh… This one’s called “Monster”. Let’s fire up the sequencer. Ok, it’s moving along there. You can edit that by pressing the Edit buton here, and you can directly change the notes here. One through five, sixteen steps in all. And you can keep changing it on the fly. Super fun! That’s that. It wouldn’t be a Prophet without a proper sync lead. OR how about this kind of in-your-face lead? Ah this one gives you vibrato via aftertouch. This one is an FX sound. Sounds good, sounds good! Just fantastic. The filter being modulated by the LFO here. Random. That. Is. Analog. Very nice! And something else, right here, there’s a sound called “Filter Test” What’s that? You ask. That’s the sound. Actually, this sound is made with the oscillators off, with the filter pushed into self-oscillation via resonance. Turn the resonance down and the sound ceases. Let’s turn the oscillators up and see what happens. Just a little bit here. Bring in a bit of sawtooth. The simple, good sound of the waveform. Of course, with Shape… …you can change the pulse width. You can also choose other waveforms such as triangle etc. On to the filter. Close the filter a bit. Adjust the envelope amount. How about a brassy kind of envelope? That’s nice. Let’s add oscillator 2 now. Set it to sawtooth, same as oscillator 1. Adjust the fine-tuning just a tad. There we go. Now if we turn up the resonance a bit… There’s that “Prophet” sound. Just great, isn’t it? Just what you’d expect from DSI, they’ve started a new era of analog synths. Something like that. Anyway, yeah I REALLY like this synth. It’s great! Get your hands on one! Highly recommended! Right? Actually there’s one more thing I want to show you. Dave Smith Instruments also makes this module. A multitimbral 4 voice analog synthesizer, on the market now, called the Tetra. The thing about this, the innards are just the quality you’d expect from DSI. Same as the Prophet 08. Just a four-voice version. Now, by hooking this module up via MIDI, to the Prophet 08, which is an eight-voice synth, you get a total of twelve voices altogether. So it’s like expanding the synth in a way. THIS is such a fantastic idea! Say you have a real extravagant voice you’ve programmed, and you’ve got the sustain pedal working for those long decays, well that’s the perfect time to make use of a Tetra. You’ve got an itch? Consider it scratched. The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 08. ANALOG!!! I’m in love here. Fantastic! And that is it for the DSI Prophet 08! Translation & Captions by: SWCreativeJapan.

• Reply monkeh88 January 31, 2014 at 10:27 am

great

• Reply James Smith January 31, 2014 at 11:28 am

I noticed pretty neat scales in your demos. Can you tell, what are they?

• Reply Digiphex Electronics January 31, 2014 at 11:56 am

I don't know why but I just don't find the sound appealing compared to some of the other analogs you have demoed. I am not a big fan of digital but even Dave's digital Prophet 12 sounds a lot better than this.

• Reply Marcusmiller January 31, 2014 at 12:35 pm

one of my all time favorite synthesizers.

• Reply hiroshi45rpm January 31, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Dave smith mopho review please (^人^)

• Reply hiroshi45rpm January 31, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Dave smith mopho review please (^人^)

• Reply 佐藤龍二 January 31, 2014 at 3:33 pm

氏家さん風邪ですか?

• Reply Toumal Rakesh January 31, 2014 at 8:27 pm

5:47 Always awesome to hear you idly play such beautiful sequences. You certainly know your music theory 🙂

• Reply Jonas Sjöström January 31, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Reply hogberto February 1, 2014 at 12:52 pm

thanks for another great demo. another future classic from Dave Smith.

• Reply Rainer A February 2, 2014 at 12:19 pm

good demo, but mainly presets being played here. in my opinion they aren't really good. this synth can sound so much better than this…you just have to create your own patches, it's very versatile and I wouldn't give it away anymore.

• Reply TRGN909 February 18, 2014 at 10:03 am

( >_<) キレと粘り!、どうしてこんなに鮮やかなんでしょう。
    プロフェットってほんとにプロフェットー!って音ですね。

• Reply Yes Box February 20, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Got here through Brad Mehldau. For those of you who want to see this synth in action I recommend that you look up "Mehliana". It's an awesome drum/keys-duo that uses the Prophet '08

• Reply Jason March 1, 2014 at 9:35 am

Great sound. Always wished they had silk screen lettering rather than the sticker, but guess that keeps it affordable.

• Reply musictrackjp March 4, 2014 at 10:12 am

English sub-title is available now ;)

• Reply jen ren March 27, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I like this Demo.

• Reply Viktor Varga April 19, 2014 at 10:58 pm

muy bien..
    maestro..

• Reply vistacruiser70s June 3, 2014 at 1:38 am

It has an "almost there" tone. Nothing tops Dave Smiths prophet 5 rev2.

• Reply KeithCanisius June 27, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Had mine for 5 years! Love it more and more as time goes by.

• Reply Pioggia0 July 5, 2014 at 10:04 am

MA QUANDO IMPARERA A SUONARE I SINTH QUESTO BENEDETTO UOMO

• Reply DIGITALSCREAMS August 18, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Not a bad synth….but not a great one either. It has a very similar sound to some of the cheaper Curtis based synths of the mid/late 80's. They all used the same 'synth on chip' design – where the oscillators, vca and filter are all on the same chip. To my ears, these were the worst sounding. Rather thin, bland and unexciting. Not 100% bad…just not hugely satisfying.

I'm interested to know what Dave has done with the Pro 2 mono synth. He says its got a more authentic Prophet 5 filter on it. I hope he means is fatter and rawer than the one used on his previous products. All he has to do now is make some genuinely fat analog oscilators….and we're getting closer to the synth we all want. I don't want simulated analog oscillators through an analog filter!

• Reply The Musical Synthesizer September 11, 2014 at 5:14 am

This is an exceptional synthesizer.  The video only demonstrates a narrow range of sound.  There are too many of the classic PWM-type  pads.  It can do so much more.

• Reply Bob I. Gomez October 27, 2014 at 8:31 am

After 4 years I have had little time to program the Pro 08. Am thinking of moving on to the Pro12. Mostly what I have discovered is that these modern synths weigh in at about a 3rd of the cost of the oldies. Meaning they are nice for the budget, however they may come up  short as ground breaking musical instruments.

• Reply Cornelius Wade November 15, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Well, I will agree with some of the negative comments on the topic if presets, however Dave Smiths synths are made to come up with your own patches on all the models. Having said, and also owning digital analog , as well as software DAWs, I wanted to go back and own an analog synth as well as having the option of playing/ recording live when ever possible. Going digital is fine but having the option to go analog is always better. I'm not giving up this synth. It's a true lead synth that I settled for tho my goal is to get the Andromeda a6 which I'm planning for 2015, then I'm satisfied with my set up as far as synths are concerned.

• Reply jeff wackenthal November 30, 2014 at 8:24 am

Go and see Brad Maldhau playin Mehiana,on the DSI 08 and little phatty and rhodes

• Reply DarkSession van Art December 6, 2014 at 1:46 am

i have tears in my eyes <3

• Reply Andrew Piatek January 24, 2015 at 11:32 am

I tried this in store, and it sounds unique and fantastic.  It has character.  The only problem I have with it is the front panel graphics on an overlay sticker.  That's a big letdown.  Moog Voyagers use the same thing.  Were is the respect for the consumer and have properly painted graphics on the musical instrument as opposed to a big sticker?  Such a wonderfull instrument, and so destroyed aesthetically by slapping a big sticker on it.  Thankgully the company came to its senses with the Prophet-12, Pro-2, and the wonderful Prophet-6.

• Reply steven bauer March 13, 2015 at 11:56 am

This guy is fantastic he is so funny, great demo.

• Reply Will James March 24, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I don't know what he's saying, but I know what he's saying.

• Reply SONA CRUZ April 30, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Sounds amazing.

• Reply Acekorv June 3, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I got this synth, was overwhelmed, read comments about brassines and all sorts of rubbish. TBH this is a great synth, if you are playing with only presets, (wouldn't even say I like many of the presets) you are only scratching the surface.

So learn about synthesis. It 's so much fun to learn once you get over the barrier and learn how you actually create a sound. If you like Vangelis for example this is an amazing synth. You can hear some awesome presets, check psalm 237 to hear more and also really research a synth. If you love presets well why even consider to buy a a synth like this stick to softsynths.

This is a real instrument and no it does not come with effects but if you are at home like me creating music, you just run i through chours or maybe like a lexicon 224. Oh man you can sit for hours!

But of course really understand what music you want to create before just buying a synth.

• Reply darth hideous July 1, 2015 at 12:14 pm

domo arigato mr roboto.

• Reply greg chuchelo July 3, 2015 at 2:12 pm

damn  this things sounds sooo good. I cant decide between this and Nord A1. Analog Keys from elektron also looks interesting, though Im a bit put off by the interface.

• Reply Patrick Adorati October 7, 2015 at 11:30 am

I really love this machine! I have to buy one, one day…

• Reply tryllejens October 28, 2015 at 8:56 pm

completely lost it at "eigthe voicu anarogu shiinseziser" xD

• Reply Attarilan Getar W Prestaka November 25, 2015 at 8:58 am

Is an aftertouch crucial on a "synth"?
    Please comment

• Reply Jason Baez November 25, 2015 at 7:44 pm

This guy makes me want to buy everything he demo's

• Reply mainmajo December 27, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Thank you for showing!

• Reply maN Œuvre January 16, 2016 at 2:34 am

Iyi desu ne! Domo,

• Reply OfficialMarc1 January 26, 2016 at 10:52 pm

songs after 0:22 ?

• Reply enzlom May 5, 2016 at 11:46 am

two words…. Burry Burry

• Reply chris petro May 11, 2016 at 12:46 am

nice demo

• Reply Matthew Maneri May 24, 2016 at 12:31 pm

"You've got an itch? Consider it scratched." golden.

• Reply Jonathan R June 9, 2016 at 7:33 pm

12:15

• Reply quarkyzarky June 16, 2016 at 5:58 pm

get a JD-XA instead, much more exciting, much more unique and the analog side sounds better too. I'd rather have 4 voices of great sounding, musical analog than 8 of this clinical, harsh analog (with dubious filter). The rest of the JD-XA gets you into (Digital) land too, covering what you'd have to buy multiple DSI synths to achieve (Prophet 08, 12, Poly Evolover etc). JD-XA does all that and more, and sounds better (and is cheaper!). Roland killed it with the XA, and it's very misunderstood/over-looked but anyone who uses one tends to end up loving it (can't say the same about much of the DSI range up until the Prophet 6 and even that doesn't set the world on fire thanks to the DSI tone and very nerfed feature set that shouldn't be on a $3k synth)

• Reply Jason Scharf June 30, 2016 at 2:41 am

Fuck all of the racist comments on here

• Reply CYPRN September 16, 2016 at 3:47 am

your chords progressions are always so smooth man

• Reply Hamish Owen September 22, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Kind of irrelevant, but I'm really keen on learning the kind of style he's playing. Could somebody help me out and tell me what kind of chords he's using – if he's using like have a certain sort of progression or anything? Thanks in advance 🙂

• Reply Analog Monoxide October 22, 2016 at 2:40 pm

I would enjoy it even if it wasn't subtitled. Great review, and nice playing 🙂

• Reply JemenJ January 2, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Grab one while you can! Prophet '08 is now discontinued product….

• Reply Savage Parasyte January 15, 2017 at 12:46 am

I had this synth and a prophet 6, and I sold it early last year. I have to say I really regret selling my prophet 08 beauces it is so different from the 6, and in a lot of ways more advanced.

• Reply Per Gunnar Vik Mjølhus February 14, 2017 at 12:21 am

What's holy shit in japanese? Cause it said so in the subtitles, and that's my opinion too!

• Reply Rayy‘s Musikladen June 1, 2017 at 7:52 pm

I really wonder why one should buy a Prophet 6 with 2 voices and 1 keyboard octave less.

• Reply scp 210 July 9, 2017 at 12:26 pm

サカナクションの「新宝島」のMVで岡崎さんが弾いてたやつですね。

• Reply Nick Kaniak July 16, 2017 at 11:49 pm

this sound transports me to another era

• Reply Pendola Benny September 22, 2017 at 9:58 am

I have it since its release and I assure you it is a marvel.
    I use it with a Strymon Big Sky and an Eventide TimeFactor.
    Immense pleasure to have this sinthesizer

• Reply CRT Gamer September 25, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Sounds very good, but very harsh and bright, not smooth like vintage analogue, but still very good.

• Reply Yuma Keigo October 1, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Good scale based playing.

• Reply aussie 777 January 12, 2018 at 11:33 am

Where is? Dave Smith? That sang Gospel songs?
    Like: Take it out?
    How did he disappear!

• Reply Alex Overcast April 27, 2018 at 12:37 am

How close can you get to oberhiem tones on this?

• Reply Blkk Bones May 20, 2018 at 6:41 am

“Harmonia” is pretty much prophet 08. On my channel (my EP), if you’re interested

• Reply Tommy Mandel August 14, 2018 at 3:09 am

You play so good that it's hard to evaluate the instrument!!! Compliments.

• Reply mdkilner October 28, 2018 at 1:42 am

To be fair, this guy could make a potato sound cool