Correct 5.1 & 7.1 Surround Sound Positions for Speakers

December 4, 2019

Hey I’m Mark Edward Lewis and welcome to
Cinema Sound Studio B. You know the most requested articles on Cinema Sound have
to do with 5.1 or surround mixing and that kind of thing. Where to put things,
how do we set up things, and the most requested article in that forum is: where
do we put our speakers? And I know that a lot of the people that are checking that
out aren’t audio people at all–they just want to know where they put their home
speakers–but that’s a legitimate… a legitimate concern. So here’s how
it goes, your listening environment needs to have speakers that are equidistant
from the listeners. The greater the listener sweetspot,
the greater the difficulty in making that happen.
For example, if you have a single person sitting on a couch, it’s very easy to be
able to–just you know–say how far away is the center speaker and now let’s just
draw a circle around the radius of that so that all the speakers are in the same
and you’re good. But if you have her and him and more, each one of those spaces
needs to also have equidistant speaker placement around them and that’s almost
impossible to do. Especially as you get into surround levels like seven one
eleven one and even higher. So what we need to do for the basics is establish
how far away the speakers need to be from the sweet spot in the middle. Let’s
say for random figures it’s ten feet. If you have your listener at ten feet from
the center speaker, and then it also stands to reason that the next speaker
over–the right speaker or the left–needs to also be ten feet. Now for those of you
who have done geometry, you know that that means that they cannot be in a
straight line in front of the TV or the screen.That would mean that the center
speaker is actually closer, and the left and right speakers are farther. Which
means that the left and right speakers are not only quieter, but…also
that audio is hitting the listener late, which further exacerbates the problem.
Now your surround speakers need to be the same distance–equidistant ten feet
from you. Now where you put them is a matter of choice. You can put them where
Dolby wants you to have them–which is sort of over here at the side–or where I
think you should have them– which is directly opposite and
perpendicular in a line to the other speakers that are in the front, so the
right surround faces the left speaker and the left surround faces the
right speaker, and you get this nice cool cross across. Your subwoofer? Same thing.
Even though a lot of people put it on a wall or in a corner, again it needs to be
equidistant or it becomes too soft or the audio hits the listeners late. So
somewhere in that circle. Now you can put it behind if you want–it’s just a little
weird–just as long as it’s equidistant. The same thing happens in 7-1 for the
side fills. They need to be 10 feet and 10 feet. The issue comes, however, as soon
as you get more than one person on that couch. The side fills basically get
blocked. So the lady on the right, she gets a lovely entertainment from the
right most mid side speaker, but then her buddy
who’s sitting on her left completely blocks the mid side speaker that’s on
the left. Right? He gets that entertainment and it totally blocks her
sound. So one of the things that I do is move those mid side speakers
forward about 10 degrees, so that they’re coming a little bit more frontally than
direct side and we miss that–you know– “buddy-sitting-next-to-me” blockage of
high frequencies. So that’s the general gist. In 5.1 and 7.1 the
primary thing is keep all of your speakers at the same distance to…
you–not to each other. Now to that end you want to have a magic triangle. The
magic triangle is also equidistant to themselves. And what do I mean by that?
That means that the left and the right speakers are equidistant to themselves
as you are to them. And that helps you triangulate where those speakers should
be, so that they drop right in so that they are equidistant to themselves and
equidistant to you. So you don’t just have them too far out because if you
have speakers and left…if you have left and right speakers or surround speakers
that are too far out, if you’re mixing that means that your mixes will end up
being mixed mono. If you’re listening, that means that everything will seem way
too wide, and there won’t be much in the middle except for that weird center
speaker. So be sure that your surround speakers are equidistant to
themselves and to you–like a nice perfect triangle. And your left-front and
left-right are equidistant to themselves and to you. And all speakers are
equidistant to you and you’re gonna have yourself a great surround setup. Let us
know what your problems are–if any–in your home setup or in your studio set up
on the cinema sound.com forum, and we’ll do our best to see if we can resolve
them for you. Until then we’ll see you in the theater.

• Reply MrIvanpz May 24, 2018 at 5:49 am

Very useful video, make it more! Congratz!

• Reply Bilderberger May 24, 2018 at 10:36 am

sangat bagus videonya memberi solusi

• Reply souhail bk May 24, 2018 at 12:23 pm

very gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

• Reply Piotr Kwiatkowski May 27, 2018 at 2:41 pm

Man, is 2018 and av receivers can setup distance and delay, so you dont have to place speakers in the same distance of you

• Reply HoundDogMech June 6, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Question: What then about these Sound Bars that have a fixed distance between the Front speakers from less than 36" to just over 40". Can these produce true 5.1 Surround sound? Does being able to adjust the individual speaker Volume work or help?
    I think I will subscribe can't hurt might learn something.

• Reply bigpoo02 June 6, 2018 at 11:09 pm

4:16 I thought that was my baby haha

• Reply dastodavid June 14, 2018 at 8:39 am

very nice video! quick question what if you have a rectangular room,?should you bring the speakers closer (farther from tv) to make that perfect circle or should I just adjust the speaker levels on the receiver? also if i use height speakers, should they be directly above me or should they be in front/ behind me?

• Reply Satyendra Nath Subedi June 18, 2018 at 5:04 am

Which is better? 5.1 home theatre setup or a Dolby Atmos sound bar (for a 10×14 room)?

• Reply Carlo Scrignaro June 23, 2018 at 1:57 am

OK. You're "technique" for compensating for more than one person on the couch is wrong. What you're supposed to do (and what ALL theatres do) is raise the side fills and angle them down toward the farthest listening position. In this case, you would raise and angle the Left Side fill to point at the right end of the couch and vice versa for the Right Side fill.

Would have been nice if you demonstrated how to measure the angles for the surrounds in 5.1 and 7.1.

• Reply Royal Studio June 28, 2018 at 12:30 pm

So , my whole studio suround setup doesnt allow me to put rear speakers at the corner , i can only do them like what dolby recomends , would that be a huge different and what speaker bracket should i get and also do i rly need to rotate the speakers to face me , thanks

• Reply nklopez56 August 6, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Do the left and right as well as surround sound speakers have to be at the same height also? My left and right are about eye level, but I have a lot of stuff around and behind me, so the 7.1 surround speakers have to go up. Is it going to be okay? I also have everything equidistant👍

• Reply ryad sidi moussa August 13, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Not easy to understand coz I'm French but thanks

• Reply Mark Konior August 14, 2018 at 2:16 am

In a 5.1 setup the surround speakers go to your sides facing the listening position. When you move up to a 7.1 THEN you add the rear speakers, not the other way around as this video suggests.

And all your speakers don't NEED to be equal distances. Any good receiver is going to have room correction software that will measure and account for the distance of your speakers.

• Reply Xi Le August 14, 2018 at 10:33 pm

There will be 7.1.2.2 surround sound speakers for home In the future.

• Reply Steely666 August 23, 2018 at 1:12 pm

How do you set up distance. 0 to 3 m? Which do I choose?

• Reply KingKongBallZ August 24, 2018 at 5:55 pm

great video, i learned something new, the golden triangle! maybe do something about the dipole speakers placement and the controversy between object based audio vs dipole speakers? that should help people making the right decision when buying equipment in the future. and maybe something about hires audio & speakers? too much people neglect these details, that information is gold.

• Reply Sam Fisher September 2, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Headsets are awesome. Can’t go back. Here are some benefits:
    – Very immersive
    – Noise cancelling
    – Custom volume and equalisers per person in room
    – Don’t need to worry about neighbours

Only downside I can think of is it might ache after a while and you can’t talk to people. But why would you want to during a movie.

• Reply Jody Glover September 13, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Thanks Mark, that helps a lot!

• Reply Edgar Palma Murillo September 21, 2018 at 9:53 pm

My living room is just too small. My wall is right back of my couch and my tv is only 10 feet in front of me. Any tip of where do i have to put my surround speakers of my 5.1 system? My surrounds are the Acoustech PL66. I also was planning to add 2 more speakers to have a 5.1.2 system.

• Reply zaftra September 23, 2018 at 3:33 am

Nobody has speakers set up like that in their living room. What happens in you cant have equal distance, for instance the right of me the wall is 2 foot away, to the left it's about 8, same on the front with the tv.

• Reply Charles Garcia October 2, 2018 at 3:59 am

What if I have a 20x20x8 a square room. I can do the even distances but people are saying that a square room is not ideal for good acoustics especially bass response. I have dual subs btw.

• Reply Sanjeev Kumar October 14, 2018 at 6:54 am

After watching this I removed my 5.1 Audio Decoder and Converted My speaker to 2.1 (power output 600watt RMS Subwoofer and 140+140 Watt RMS Left Right Speakers). Sounds Better than 5.1 ._.

• Reply Giuseppe Ciaccio October 24, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Understood the idea of the surround sound. My problem is that my speakers must be sealing mounted for aestetic reasons (my wife could explain). How do I proceed in this case? My couch is at about 7' from my TV and I want to prewire a 7.1 system. Thank you for the response.
    G.C.

• Reply kiran kumar November 2, 2018 at 10:36 am

ok vvvvgood

• Reply Chua boon leong November 15, 2018 at 11:59 pm

What the correct position for ceiling speakers.

• Reply Chill Bill November 21, 2018 at 5:28 am

That's why we have audio setup microphones people…make sure you use them, because NO ONE has the perfect room that allows for such a setup…use the mic first, and tweak it to your liking after that…this guy should have talked more about speaker heights, rather than just distances…😡

• Reply Randy Levine November 22, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Good video, but doesn't room correction adjust for distancedelay and levels? Like Audyssey.

• Reply Edward Sanchez November 22, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Just make a small circle in the middle around the 1-3 people and make it to that circle instead of a individual person. And lift those speakers so no one blocks anyones sound. Problem solved, I knew I should have been a damn audio engineer!

• Reply Cooterbaby November 23, 2018 at 5:39 pm

What about for those of us that like to mount everything in the ceiling or wall? I have 2 round Martin logan's in the ceiling above the couch and I want to put 2 in wall behind the couch and on the TV wall

• Reply Prakasa Adnan November 25, 2018 at 6:10 pm

i have 5.1.2 avr dolby atmos. the problem is i couldn't place them in side my ear (110 degrees). I can only do that in back about (135 degrees). is it okay?

• Reply Tim McCrory November 27, 2018 at 5:59 am

Such an arrangement would be wonderful if I owned a mansion, but since I live in a small frame house, I make do with setting my 7.1 speakers where I can. They work well enough for me too.

• Reply Joshua A November 27, 2018 at 7:17 pm

I have a 5.1 setup.. center, left, right anf then 2 rears mounted on the ceiling… they are all as close to perfect as o can get them lol my only question is how do i get the best sound for watching movies ? Any tips would be appreciated

• Reply Lee Lucas November 28, 2018 at 1:47 am

If that's how you supposed to set them up then no wonder the surround sound sounds crap in cinemas compared to in the house lol. Honestly I would not even rate your advice to set up 2 speakers for stereo never mind surround sound.

• Reply kewl malibu November 28, 2018 at 3:51 pm

This is a perfect invoronment senario. Most people can throw it out the widow

• Reply Russell Caraotta November 29, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Who has one couch in a room that size? Interesting info but not practical or useful.

• Reply Jailani Majid December 1, 2018 at 1:51 am

What about the height of the speaker to listening position?

• Reply nerd Mike December 1, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Hi, on 5.1 I ve put my surround speaker 1.5/2 feet above ear level, is it right? Sometime is fine, same case not. Dolby specifies this but most people say the opposite leaving surround on ear level, but they are distracting..

• Reply Craig Gordon December 2, 2018 at 9:25 am

My setup. Nothing else like it on the planet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xD_eszip0E

• Reply Ivolo89 December 2, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Why not just mesure the distance to every speaker and put that in into settings on your receiver so it gives perfect levels. No "low" or "late" sounds, just great 🙂

• Reply Zohar Modifier December 3, 2018 at 5:15 am

Just cups all speaker and link to cups on your ears latency 1ms speed 10Gbit 🙂 1000Mhz

• Reply tre mor December 3, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Thanku sir

• Reply Moon December 3, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Yo, what's with all the logos popping up all over the damn screen like popup ads? Are you sponsored by these companies and trying to throw them in the video? WTF?

• Reply FL moseley December 6, 2018 at 3:34 am

In a perfect world this would be great but viewing areas often arent so cut and dry to enable this set up. For example if your normal viewing position is right up against a wall your gonna have 1 speaker way closer to you than the other. That's when you have to tweak out pot on these speakers and it becomes far more difficult.

• Reply rouk December 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm

'' The audio is hitting the listener late'' ??? dude ur'e talking about 10inches not 10 light years away.

• Reply Gab A December 8, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Ok then why do amps have the option of setting up distance of each speaker ? … doesnt that make up for un-equal distances ?

• Reply BravelilBoomer December 12, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Here is a good question. What if you are viewing 4K content, with a 5.1 surround sound setup? Techs have told me, you should be sitting 5 to 7feet away from the TV.
    From my experience, the distance can create a great sound with cinema-like experience. What I think is comfortable with a 5.1 surround sound with a 4K TV is around 10 feet viewing distance.
    What I am trying to say should I sit 10 feet away or sit 6 feet away? because I feel like I would lose sound with a closer distance.
    My Setup is AVR Onkyo TX-NR777, Polk T-50s 4x, Polk PSW-10, Polk S-30 Center Channel.
    Thank you and great video by the way. I subbed and set a notification.

• Reply andi massey December 14, 2018 at 2:35 pm

This is all well and good as long as your lounge is the size of a football pitch.

• Reply Gregg Sinini December 25, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Thanks for the video!! Very interesting, but as you mentioned, nearly impossible in a home environment where ever room and seating arrangement is different and with furnishings, room treatments, opening, windows, etc., etc., etc.!!! Right now my 9.2 Home Theater/Living Room with a Patio Door, and 2 wall openings, is also very difficult, but I came darn close (but not cigar) to creating a perfect setup!! Should I face (toe In) my front L/R RTiA7 Towers directly at me center listening position, or face them to just pass the sides of my ears? HA!! Yamaha Aventage/Polk/SVS/65 inch Samsung HD etc.!  I guess I will never know what absolute perfection sounds like, so I am totally ecstatic with how my system sounds. As far as I'm concerned, I have movie theater bliss right now and don't care if my Side Surrounds are off with the "Geometry" an unavoidable difference of a foot or two, do to the shape of MOST rectangular rooms. It is what it is!!! I adjust the Manual Setup distances in the Yamaha Receiver and hope for the best or as close I can practically be! As for my Front Height Presence and Rear Presence Speakers, I don't believe that they fall into that triangle/geometry category!!!! Now if I could only figure out what PHASE setting (0-180 ?) I should keep my Subwoofer at, I'd be good to go!!  Again, Thank You!!

• Reply heavyset0223 December 29, 2018 at 10:19 am

Ha, what a load of crap.

• Reply t bone December 30, 2018 at 7:04 am

Not necessarily true. You can adjust the volume of your speakers to compensate for any abnormal distance as long as there's no physical audio impediments. A left rear speaker that's 13' from the center should be louder than a right rear speaker that's 9' from the center. If the front pair of speakers are louder than the rear, then turn up the volume of the rear speakers.

• Reply Our Little Cakery December 30, 2018 at 9:22 am

Those nipples really helped me to get a clear picture of the whole tutorial 😑

• Reply Gab A December 31, 2018 at 2:56 am

This guys info can be misleading

• Reply pekmezpd December 31, 2018 at 9:37 am

i just got logitech z906 (5.1), and i placed all 5 of them equidistant to me(like 8.2 feet), so i am in center of it…
    but i cant place front left and front right speakes to be equidistant to them for this "magic triangle", distance between front left and front right speeker is 9.5 feet.
    i didnt mounted them on wall yet, waiting for some better idea, so if there are some tips to make most of my place and speakers, feel free to help 🙂

• Reply Nelson David Chávez January 3, 2019 at 11:35 pm

What are the solutions when you don’t have enough space so that the back speakers are at the same distance to the listener?

• Reply Raj Jose January 4, 2019 at 10:20 am

Hi i have sony 5.1 home theater. My reciever has 1 hdmi, 1 optical and coaxial ports other than the basic component ports av ports etc. My tv supports optical.
    My question is with this how can i connect my laptop to the sound system. I have connected my laptop with the hdmi to the tv. But i wish the sound come from the 5.1 system. Can someone help me out.

• Reply PITBULL January 6, 2019 at 3:37 pm

This is also assuming that the couch is in the middle of the room when 95% of the time its off the back wall, Id like you guys to talk about how the speakers are affected when this is the case. It is with me but I already combated this problem.I happen to have a 11.4 , 7.4.4 .But i also happen to have 4 heights which i can switch off with ceiling and front wides Thanks

• Reply Moondrake January 8, 2019 at 2:11 am

My AV receiver has a microphone for setting up sounds. During setup, it measures the sound coming from each speaker and adjusts its volume level and its delay so that the sound from each speaker reaches the location of the microphone at the same moment and at the same volume. This could (and should) be a feature of every AV receiver and this entire issue would be non-existent. The difficulty of finding spaces in homes where you can do what is described here makes the information nearly useless. In this day and age, don't try to do this… just get a good AV receiver.

• Reply andy evans January 9, 2019 at 9:29 am

If only i had a cinema room this would be fine

• Reply Wats Doug January 11, 2019 at 5:04 am

I agree with this guy long as your watching a true 5.1 or 7.1 movie.but if your listening to true 5.1 HD music you don't have to sit in the middle of your speakers to enjoy true surround sound…

• Reply R B January 12, 2019 at 3:14 am

why does the girl in the animation have nipples, lol.

• Reply Andres Agredo January 13, 2019 at 7:12 pm

nice video, straight to the point, and visual explanation

• Reply M A January 16, 2019 at 9:27 pm

Speakers do not need to be equidistant. This is not 2009. Also, surround speakers should be placed to the side, not the rear. That would be for a 9.1 speaker system. Very poor knowledge in this video.

• Reply coludo negro January 18, 2019 at 2:55 am

Fuck the surround sound, I just want to fuck the neighbors

• Reply Pivniciar Pivnicny January 20, 2019 at 9:30 pm

Wrong … Only Important are same angles, not distances and volume. In modern time, every good AV receiver have calibration microphone and during the test receiver can automaticaly adjust attenuation and time delay for every speaker.

• Reply Syc holic January 22, 2019 at 8:44 am

cough https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html and almost anything that does dolby has distance and/or height adjustments… derp this is why you run speaker calibration (and even better is if you have the audible calibration ability as no speakers are exactly the same…) so sorry your advice is moot. if someone's system has no kind of calibration/layout configuration… well doubt they gonna really care either with such low end gear.

• Reply Shailesh Nandikol January 27, 2019 at 12:33 pm

I have a 7.1.2 to setup, however for surround back i have a wall which ends my options or trying any other method…I can't post my pic here… Room is kind of L shape which gives me less options or opportunities to do other things.

• Reply leo riskind February 4, 2019 at 1:12 am

Time alignment is new for this guy

• Reply Jorge Luiz Tocafundo February 7, 2019 at 9:54 pm

OK but tell about the distances between speakers and not only abouy angles.
    Distances have relevance or are volume(levels) dependents?

• Reply Kyle Koekemoer February 13, 2019 at 9:40 am

I dont think this setup is correct. Dolby studios require the mix to be done in a room where the mixer is 2/3 into the room. The rear speakers are calibrated 3 dBs down in a cinema and essentially if your rear speakers are equidistant from the listener as the front speakers, your mix will sound unbalanced and too soft in the rear.

• Reply Craig Parker February 15, 2019 at 4:21 am

Can't believe it but I have my speakers just like you said. Thanks

• Reply Bob Danyluk February 15, 2019 at 4:44 am

Auto-eq with time alignment fixes the bad speaker distances.

• Reply Aleksander Dev February 16, 2019 at 3:30 pm

I have klipsch surround speakers that fire two directions, same placement for them?
    These speakers dont make sense having one side firing away from me, and i get neither of the treble speakers directly towards me, muddying the sounb a bit more then a directed monopole speaker would.

Also i have different speakers surround side and back as of now, where do I put the best speakers ?
    I think on side surrounds as most content are 5.1
    However 5.1 content with a 7.1 setup? The speakers are to the side not diagonally back, this screws up audio image?

• Reply linkingaj March 20, 2019 at 3:59 pm

your anal retentiveness does not consider dipole speakers

• Reply Ivan Ivan Ivan March 28, 2019 at 12:31 am

My back is against a wall. I listen only to movies. How should I place my rears? Should i use bookshelf speakers or those dual triangle like surround speakers?

• Reply Hilda Reveron April 1, 2019 at 1:16 am

The best thing is keeping speakers away from the floor and placing them above ear level

• Reply Billy Joe April 1, 2019 at 1:45 am

Ain't no body house furniture is set up like what you show to support a home theater. I understand it's the proper positioning to get the most outa you're surround sound but to some people(ME) it's sort of discouraging to even get a surround sound jus cause my living area could never be set up like this.

• Reply Yours Truly April 9, 2019 at 9:58 pm

Equa distan

• Reply LakuTheGamer April 13, 2019 at 8:57 pm

Uptading from normal two speakers to 7. 1
    (This video helped me so much)

• Reply deanedgx May 11, 2019 at 2:11 pm

if you don't have the room to place your rear speakers far enough back I guess using the av receiver to delay and attenuate the signal would give you the same results (near enough).

• Reply Stryider Redz May 14, 2019 at 9:57 am

the the heck do you mean by "little wired" to but the Bass behind you! In any surround sound setup, you SHOULD but you Bass in the back. Why do you think the drummer in a band is back or mid back, on the strange? Even in the best composition car setup's, have the Bass is the back or in the mid back of the car!
    I have a setup of 8.2 and it sounds great!! (Home Gaming setup)

• Reply vince watson May 31, 2019 at 7:15 am

Moral of the story , equwaaa distenn is key

• Reply Goober Robbins June 12, 2019 at 6:57 am

My rear speakers are about twice as far away as my fronts in relation to my seating area. Does changing audio levels on the rears make up for the uneven distances between the speakers and listener?

• Reply Leon Sines June 18, 2019 at 12:33 am

My room is 13' x10'……..i have the tv on a 13ft wall side….the room is a rectangle….i cant figure out a good position for my 5.1 system…i know the basics…but sometimes the basics dont apply

• Reply Miguel Salazar June 23, 2019 at 2:52 pm

I need help placing my home theater speakers

• Reply Prakasa Adnan June 23, 2019 at 8:11 pm

For some reason. I had to place my side surround speaker above my ear about 1Meter to 1.2 Meter and i cant point it direct to my ear. Is it ok cause i often use my home theater for video game and what i look picture from manual it looks like should be on ear level?

• Reply jbarres80 June 27, 2019 at 9:30 pm

Tv. Mounted on wall left center right are facing forward and rears are side of couch noticed 2 things sound doesn’t sound great especially watching cable tv maybe I need to angle them

• Reply Amanda Budziarski July 13, 2019 at 3:43 pm

Long story short buy system plug it in

• Reply Phillip Weissburg July 15, 2019 at 8:48 pm

Sorry but I thought this was about subwoofer placement…..he is explaining the self-evident.

• Reply Edward Forbes July 20, 2019 at 2:46 am

What difference between height speakers and surround speakers

• Reply John Carter July 26, 2019 at 7:38 pm

In a 5.1 and a 7.1 its not a magic triangle its a magic X meaning fronts are in line with the rears your center goes though the center of the x and your left and right surrounds go though the middle of that same x and your listening area is in the middle and make sure you turn your fronts and rears 30 degrees out from the wall do not make them flush with the wall this set up works well with movies music and if you have it hookup games as well.

Hope this is a better understanding, this is the exact setup i use for years just make sure your fronts and rears towers are off the floor bass hates carpet with powered subs this doest apply at all but find a good location for you sub or subs

This works with any size room in a house appartments your going to have to adjust to your environment

Not all room are equal but its a start again hope this helps

• Reply Mike Dorman August 2, 2019 at 1:52 pm

So a cheaper better way would be headphones for everyone and let the spacial sound be generated synthetically ….And you will enjoy not be interrupted by those that need to constantly talk. Seating in no problem and speakers clutter is gone….

• Reply shaolin95 August 4, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Sub behind is NOT weird, it is EPIC

• Reply Cyber Wolf September 1, 2019 at 9:58 pm

Hey I have 5 speakers on a 7.1 surround sound receiver. I hear sound from the front left and right and the two rear but the one on the side no sound when you have on surround sound mode but I hear it on multi channel. Why can’t I hear that back speaker on surround sound mode setting ?

• Reply Jonathan Fielding September 8, 2019 at 3:55 am

Omg! I can't stand all the adds

• Reply Mark Wiebenga October 3, 2019 at 1:58 am

What do you do if your listening position is back against the wall? Where do you put the back surround speakers?

• Reply Something October 14, 2019 at 3:11 pm

I don't have much space behind my couch and I'mthinking about the bipol speakers "Klipsch RP-402S" as the back speakers. Anyone knows if this could work with about 60cm betwen listener and speakers?

• Reply Leon Sines October 27, 2019 at 12:21 am

when I start to setup my 5.1 surrou d is it best to start with the center speaker to the listening position for the distance…or how do I determine the equidistance for the speakers?

• Reply Josh Brassow November 4, 2019 at 11:29 pm

Love the nipples at 3:10

• Reply Jungleman savetheforest November 25, 2019 at 10:51 pm

nice but forgot to mention the top speaker for rain or a helicopter!

• Reply Jeff Long December 1, 2019 at 10:58 pm

This question is a bit different but maybe you can help me.

My movie was mixed in stereo but I am trying to decide for the movie theaters if I should select all the 5.1 even though it will not be in surround, would it still feel more subversive for the audience if the hear the audio not just from the front of theater but all around them. Again, I understand it will not be in surround.

I am concerned that even though I have my audio mixed well where I mixed with headphones and I would put my home surround on and mix audio with sub to make sure sub is not to bass heavy. I would keep my sub up at about halfway, so that was a guess, Lol.

What audio configuration do you think I should use?….I will be reloading my movie into a program that will convert movie to DCP, theater format and I can choose there all the speaker configurations.
    I listened today with the L,R and Center channels and it sounded a bit mid rangy, somewhat muddy but not terrible.