BOSS VE-8 Acoustic Singer instruction by Laura Davidson

January 29, 2020

Hi I’m Laura Davidson and today I’m going to be talking to you
about the BOSS VE-8 Acoustic Singer. It’s a compact, all in one preamp and vocal effects solution for singers who play the acoustic guitar. Let’s start with the vocal side of the pedal.
It comes with a great feature called Vocal Enhance, and what this allows you to do is get your voice out
in front of the mix where it needs to be. So, let me play an example of
what the pedal sounds like with it off and on so you can hear what a big difference
it makes. Now if you want to go one step further and actually correct the pitch of your voice, that’s in there as well. So, there’s a chromatic pitch corrector,
meaning you don’t ever have to set a key. It’s going to follow right along
and get your voice perfectly in tune. But if you wanted to push the envelope a little bit
there’s also hard tune pitch correction in there as well. Also included in the VE-8
are a wide variety of vocal effects. So, I’m going to step through a few of them now.
This one’s called doubling. Typically it’s an effect that’s reserved for the studio because you would actually track your voice and then record the track again. Obviously you can’t do that live, but with the VE-8 now you can, and it adds a nice, thick sound to your chorus.
So, let’s hear what that sounds like. In addition to doubling there are also some
great, standard vocal effects like reverbs, which I have constantly going on my voice
because I’m in love with reverb. And there are also some great, more out there effects
like an electronic voice, radio, distortion. So, let’s hear what some of those sound like.
I’ll give you a quick run through. So, that’s the harmonies that you heard at the tail end.
So, in addition to great vocal effects, there’s also two voices of harmony
that you can add on the VE-8. So, you as the singer have the choice of having one voice, two voices, one above, one below, you really have a lot of freedom and flexibility,
especially because it can track your guitar chords. So, you never have to worry about setting a key.
You just play, throw a cape on there, finger pick style, it doesn’t matter, it’s still going to track you. And you can also set the key if you want to have a specific fixed key throughout. So, let’s hear what those harmonies sound like. So, beautiful sounding harmonies. You can have more female sounding if you go higher, or high, and you can also have more male sounding voices if you use the low and lower. So, that’s the harmony side of the VE-8 Acoustic Singer. So, let’s start to hear what some of the effects
are that you can add to your guitar; starting with something called resonance,
which isn’t really an effect, but it does actually enhance the sound of your acoustic guitar’s pickups. So, if you have something that’s not really sounding great when you plug it in, the resonance feature is going to
actually enhance the sound of your guitar. So, let’s hear what it sounds like
with it off and on a few times. So, that’s the Acoustic Resonance feature,
and again, it enhances the sound of your pickups. Let’s hear some of the other effects that
you can add. So, I’m just going to play through an example here.
You’ll hear the resonance going throughout, and some of the more extreme, like a phaser and a delay effect, as well as a chorus, and just nice reverbs in there as well. And that brings me to the next section of the pedal, which is the looper. It’s an 80 second recording time looper, where you can actually loop the guitar and vocals independent of one another. So, let’s hear what a loop sounds like
when you put it all together. So, that was an example of
the looping functionality of the VE-8. You can also control your guitar and vocal loops independently using an external foot switch. Also included in the box are
50 presets, and that’s a combination of vocal and guitar effects that you can start using
as soon as you plug it in. But should you decide that you want to change them, like I did, it’s really simple to just push and hold and store it, and that way when you go on to a gig,
you can set it up to follow your set list and know that your effects are going
to be right where you want them to be. And then also when you get out on that gig, you want to be able to know that you’re going to have
the right input and output options. There’s a lot of flexibility with the VE-8 Acoustic Singer. You can also plug in a USB
so that you can record it, and there’s also optional batteries,
so if you don’t have a power supply, which it comes with, then you can use batteries and you’ll be set. That’s
the BOSS-VE-8 Acoustic Singer.

• Reply Urbane Soul May 25, 2016 at 12:42 am

Interesting. I've got a lil harmony pedal for vocals; this one looks great for playing live acoustic sets though.

• Reply greatvanzinni May 25, 2016 at 5:20 am

Man this sounds terrific. Except for the acoustic resonance. It sounded like it just got more muddy.

• Reply Jônatas Freire May 25, 2016 at 6:52 am

Very Nice !!!

• Reply onur kurt June 16, 2016 at 11:06 pm

There is latency in harmony

• Reply Jeff Wright June 21, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Man, this thing is ALMOST perfect, I wish they included a way to loop the Aux as i use a handsonic on stage. Secondly, a loop undo would allow for more complexity in the tunes. Finally the USB driver didn't want to take on Win7 Ultimate, but that will probably be fixed soon. Roland/Boss if your reading if you could add those in on a firmware update that would be killer.

• Reply gwugluud 77 July 7, 2016 at 2:44 am

Really enjoyed the constant misandry. Very classy and highly-called for in a music gear demo.

• Reply Steve Landress July 14, 2016 at 5:56 pm

This is great. I've been using a Boss RC-50 (overkill maybe?) looper and a Digitech Vocalist3. I've been wishing I could loop my vocals and have them in sync with the guitar loops and this looks like it would do the trick. I guess I may be posting them on eBay and getting this instead. Of course I'll have to try it out in a music store first but who knows? This may be my new toy.

• Reply MouseClick -Theddy- July 17, 2016 at 3:43 am

She also demoed the TC Helicon Play Acoustic

• Reply taylorroad/adamfine July 29, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Design error. You should have put the harmony button on the right. It will be the most used button. With my experience with almost every pedal like this you almost always hit the pedals next to it by accident. But of its off to the right you can avoid hitting the other pedals.

• Reply jepoiaraneta August 22, 2016 at 7:15 am

Can you please sing the bohemian rhapsody

• Reply pyannaguy September 12, 2016 at 6:40 pm

I bought one the other day after after having the more expensive & elaborate Helicon Voice Live freeze up on me on Day one. Looks like THIS one'll be going back, too. I don't play acoustic guitar, but hoped this would be an easier-to-use vocal harmonizer. Maybe it's me, but all these gadgets are overbuilt – I have no interest in Looping, for example. Oh, well..I guess I'm the grouchy old musician looking for expedience in this arena. I'll probably just stick with the simple little Boss VE-5 and push the HARMONY button when I want a 3rd above. Good Luck, Everybody!

• Reply hana tavi October 17, 2016 at 1:23 pm

we need pitch shift function on guitar section.
    able to add bass guitar and may be we do not have to use capo.

• Reply AA Locksmiths November 18, 2016 at 3:30 am

It also has phantom-power.

• Reply FACON.ARGENTINO Amigo November 18, 2016 at 9:30 am

laura clapp ???????????

• Reply 001mladen December 7, 2016 at 2:41 pm

TC Helicon pedals are way better….. nice try boss

• Reply Chris Cornelius December 18, 2016 at 12:06 am

Laura had another pedal she was using during the looping segment of the demo. Any input as to what it was? Thanks!

• Reply Joshua De Silva December 21, 2016 at 10:35 am

is there any particular limits as to what kind of chords can be played (e.g: more jazzier chords)?

• Reply Thiago IQG December 24, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Seems to be an amazing pedal. Boss should think about (and show us) how good it would be in real world. This presentation is awesome and Laura is maybe the greatest person to do the job, but how would it sound with a crapy vocalist who wants improvement, maybe an affordable and not so good sounding acoustic (not an incredible $$$$ Yairi's…) plugged in a more simple setup and no so perfectly produced. Everything would sound amazing with a singer like Laura, all this equipment and production. If i may say: please, prove us your pedal can actually make some miracles with real people who likes to sing but is not so good, and don't have all this background to support their gigs. Cheers!

• Reply Michael Caz January 6, 2017 at 5:30 am

Wasn't she with TC Helicon doing the Voice Live as Laura Clapp ?

• Reply Manuel Nunez January 8, 2017 at 1:00 am

Boss VE-20 + Boss RC-30 or Boss VE-8
    What is better?

• Reply Stewart Rabbit February 17, 2017 at 6:16 am

I believe Laura mentioned being able to use an auxiliary pedal/switch…where dos it plug in? I don't see a jack on the back…

• Reply Billy Blaze March 27, 2017 at 3:50 am

you can hear the pedal trying to keep up, there is a lag.
    This although it tries real hard to sound natural misses the mark.
    Thats why I go with independent hand wired analog pedals and my sound is a thousand times better.
    I've tried them all and there's no substitute.

• Reply gwugluud 77 April 3, 2017 at 2:32 pm

gigantically tall, graying man-hater…

• Reply Marcel Riedijk April 25, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Hi there can someone tells me who sings the song which ends – I am not angry any more

• Reply AussieEuro May 5, 2017 at 3:03 pm

How do i change the default setting for the foot switch so I can change effects unit with the foot switch, the instructions dont make this clear.

• Reply Valter Barbosa July 11, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Hello Laura, how are you? I would like to know if it has rhythmic accompaniment of electronic drums with varied banks

• Reply Martin November 20, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Hello I have a question, could I plug other pedals to it? ex. a wah wah…?

• Reply Greg Hill November 22, 2017 at 11:48 pm

BOSS Engineers read this. You have a BIG ISSUE with the popular K&K Pure Mini pickup system. If plugged straight into the VE-8 just pressing the bridge or saddle makes the guitar level completely cut out. Palm muting is a disaster. It must have something to do with the sudden change in impedance from the bridge plate transducer. I think the guitar input stage on this unit is poor. There is a work around, plug into a Boss pedal (tuner or GE-7) before the unit and the issue is fixed. BOSS please design better input and output stages and stop focusing on all the stuff in between.

• Reply Steve Mills December 31, 2017 at 7:34 pm

I have a question about the harmony… you said it auto tunes. Do you have to be playing guitar for it to work? Will it tune the right harmony if you are just singing? And on the guitar side, do you have to play acoustic guitar? Can you play an Ibanez electric and get a nice acoustic sound?

• Reply Henrique Botelho January 12, 2018 at 3:18 pm

Congratulations on the video!
    Excelent sound quality and explanation!
    You are definitely talented as well!

• Reply Yan Channel January 21, 2018 at 5:01 pm

Please respon. Does this effect has all the feature in boss ve-2 like unison, oct+ and oct- ?

• Reply Rachel Woodruff February 6, 2018 at 5:01 pm

the guitar sounds terrible tinny

• Reply SABY' H February 15, 2018 at 12:33 pm

This is amazing!! good job

• Reply BloozeDaddy March 1, 2018 at 1:25 pm

I know it corrects your vocal pitch but does it correct crappy guitar playing?…see…I REALLY want to be a professioinal artist but I'm not so much in that whole "practice" thingie….I just want the instant ego boost from public adulation and stuff. 🙂

• Reply Алекс Злющий March 28, 2018 at 10:35 pm

Ohhh… I'm fallen in love with her…

• Reply ERM AV April 6, 2018 at 2:52 am

My dear lord this sounds horrible!

• Reply Roman Ruder April 6, 2018 at 7:35 am

very good thanks a lot and a great voice

• Reply Jaime Alexis Edades April 6, 2018 at 6:52 pm

Hello Laura! Are Boss gadgets 220 V???

• Reply Jay Garrett May 8, 2018 at 10:02 pm

I luff her.

• Reply Dalena Riedijk May 11, 2018 at 5:52 pm

HI Laura , we can I find the text and cords for the song I am angry anymore, is being a very nice song .Already Thanks.

• Reply Jed Phoenix May 23, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Great video! I've been looking for information about the nature of the STEREO functionality of the VE8??
    There are options for STEREO guitar and vocals, and i was wondering if it is worth using it, and panning either channel hard LEFT and RIGHT?

What is the STEREO functionality?
    Does it send one harmony voice right, and the other left when using TWO harmonies on voice?
    Does it SHIMMER the guitar when using the CHORUS function, or pan hard when using the PHASER?

I would love to know exactly what the STEREO functionality is, so I can know how to MIX them, and whether or not it is worth using two outputs for both guitar and voice, or not.
    Thanks for any help you can offer! 🙂

• Reply Jack Shaw May 30, 2018 at 3:19 pm

…. This is also an excellent tool for working with your Vocals at home….. I have been a musician for many years and never had a great voice, which means there is always plenty of work to be done on my Vocals, practicing pitch and choosing the correct songs for me. I love to sing no matter how much the audience has to suffer! Here is a video I did on the Acoustic Singer… There are many good videos out there, I thought maybe I would put together one about this product that would show it with a novice, everyday, Guitar picker… 😀 Thanks for posting all the good info on this product….https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xeVuc6GyCA

• Reply Demetrius Silva June 6, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Awesome!

• Reply KK DeVeauXgue June 7, 2018 at 11:34 am

I liked it when Laura used that harmony on I'm not angry anyone,can you sing that to my girlfriend Laura, it'll make her feel so much better, don't forget the harmony thing..

• Reply Sönke Grewe August 3, 2018 at 11:07 am

The harmony effects nowadays are fucking witchcraft.

• Reply Big B Kenobi August 14, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Sounds like satan

• Reply Marshall Tyagi August 22, 2018 at 9:59 am

Was there a lag in Vocal Doubling ?

• Reply Es Pr August 23, 2018 at 9:43 pm

But it only works with guitar well 👎👎👎

• Reply Alexander Aneuris September 19, 2018 at 10:57 pm

vendo uno negociable $12mil contacto 829-934-2866

• Reply Homero Jano September 24, 2018 at 3:37 am

Doe it work with electric guitar?

• Reply Paul Weatherby September 24, 2018 at 6:52 pm

A must-have for every female Nashville singer.

• Reply Rafael Caingin October 4, 2018 at 3:10 am

Hi.. Can you please give me some advice how to remove the double voice in my microphone even if im not using harmony… Thank you..

• Reply Omar Flores October 9, 2018 at 3:33 am

I just picked this up! Can't wait to play with it.

• Reply catherineee21 October 11, 2018 at 9:01 pm

is this an actual amplifier? or just used to make the effects?

• Reply Charlie October 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm

I've been using a Boss AD-5 for years and years, and it's very good, but it's missing the same thing this is–compression. Why give us something like chorusing that almost nobody will use when what we all need and would use is compression? Makes no sense.

• Reply I am I music station munna bhi October 14, 2018 at 3:31 am

dd3 के रेटों के बारे में कुछ बताएं

• Reply Wally Ramirez October 15, 2018 at 9:55 pm

You sound like Pam Tillis. You have an amazing vox!

• Reply the cHroNic nOize co. October 30, 2018 at 7:01 am

That guitar doesn’t need help.

• Reply Indio Armani October 30, 2018 at 2:54 pm

can this effect play vocal harmony like toto Africa ?

• Reply Statist0815 November 8, 2018 at 6:05 pm

With TC she sounded better.

• Reply JohnPaul Music UK November 15, 2018 at 2:00 am

This is a great pedal… but…
    I went with the TC-Helicon Voicelive Play Acoustic. Better Acoustic Res (Body Res) and the harmonies seem to not lag and be better quality at picking out the chords. Really easy to edit my patches too with much more vocal effects and Pedals from TC-Electronic built in. Have used it for well over a year and love it.
    Sorry Boss.. I love your loopers.. the Vloop on the TC VLPA takes over the screen and need two clicks to come out and change anything which is annoying.. and Boss loopers are always solid.
    Boss.. why a 1 pedal looper in this like the rc1 and not the rc-30?
    It’s TC-Helicon for me. Love it.

• Reply solo man November 30, 2018 at 11:52 am

Hi Laura Davidson ! Your presentation regarding Boss VE-8 acoustic singer instructions is great 🙂 by you . Your voice is beautiful , your guitar strumming and explaining about Boss VE-8 electronic gadgets is Soo brilliant. Mullion thanks. Soloman. India. .

• Reply Hard Top December 25, 2018 at 4:38 pm

That harmony effect sound kinda awesome..and almost natural

• Reply PRIASE & WORSHIP January 14, 2019 at 9:23 am

Love 💕 that

• Reply Amy_ sterious January 14, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Can we use boss ve20 effect to boss acoustic singer live amp?? How to connect it?

• Reply Jon Binnie January 15, 2019 at 9:36 pm

I bought one thanks to your video. It is a truly amazing pedal board. Thank you 💗😊😀

• Reply Ruslan Batko January 18, 2019 at 2:20 pm

Sounds cheap

• Reply Tim Gavel February 22, 2019 at 10:52 pm

not a good system it sounds to me that is not natural so like robots and she is from tc helicon I think she had trouble at tc helicon and went with boss

• Reply Chouchoune ouadi April 10, 2019 at 10:36 pm

I have a problem, at the stereo outputs, I have two for the voice, one for the guitar, and one for the voice and uitare at the same time, how to adjust it, and have two for the voice and two for the guitar in stereo, thank you, excuse my English

• Reply Paul Mazurek May 27, 2019 at 2:31 am

This is a great demo

• Reply Paul Mazurek May 27, 2019 at 2:32 am

And this woman can sing

• Reply DFD June 9, 2019 at 12:22 am

How can i put delay on the vocals…?

• Reply Grup İmroz June 11, 2019 at 12:40 pm

vokal e nasıl bass verebilirim

• Reply Otty J Dee July 10, 2019 at 7:51 am

yes vocals great, but sad acoustic guitar sounds, roland much better!

• Reply TheBradge August 28, 2019 at 7:48 pm

FUCK! This thing is great. And her voice is insane

• Reply Steve Bartlett September 3, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Beautiful singing.

• Reply Patrick Alcos September 4, 2019 at 1:21 am

Can I use it while playing the piano for the harmonizer?thanks!

• Reply Keith Watling September 5, 2019 at 2:56 am

awesome review. your really good laura.

• Reply luigi menta September 10, 2019 at 2:24 pm

Double attorno al minuto 2 ha un brutto riverbero, peccato.
    Phaser 5'30" molto bello.
    Loop bell'add.

• Reply markbarker28 September 17, 2019 at 1:09 pm

I just got mine yesterday. It is fantastic! It goes great with my Bose L1. The simple features right out of the box enhance everything. I’ll learn more as I get familiar with it. Looks like there are many more things it offers. Very exciting.

• Reply Jesse Reyna October 19, 2019 at 5:56 pm

That sounded Awesome!!

• Reply Jesse Reyna October 19, 2019 at 5:59 pm

The only thing the acoustic resonance button really did;was made it sound what it really is..An acoustic eclectic guitar. It actually gave it more depth.

• Reply gitarreninsel October 29, 2019 at 11:50 am

why can´t I change in some new memory presets the effect of the guitar? – problem: in some of the presets i have CH and want to change to DL…and this is not possible. i have in one preset DL an this effect can be changed??? what is the problem?

• Reply Scotty 001 November 10, 2019 at 8:26 pm

Which microphone/s do Boss recommend to go with the VE 8?
    I play a large dreadnought acoustic so don't want any overspill into vocal mic

• Reply Rodrigo Garcia November 21, 2019 at 5:38 pm

Donde puedo comprar una. .

• Reply James K November 21, 2019 at 11:52 pm

There seems to be noticeable delay in harmonizer.

• Reply Mosa Konyak December 1, 2019 at 3:51 pm

WOW!…….. Impressed ! no word. Just I wanna see you in next video using "Boss VE-500"👌👌👌👌👌👍.

• Reply Luiz Beltran January 2, 2020 at 6:47 pm

alem de vc ser linda e maravilhosa vc canta muito bem 🎷👏👏👏🎷

• Reply scottbogfoot January 7, 2020 at 6:09 pm

So if the song has little to no guitar being played or I just want to record a vocal track, then I'll have to lock the key into whatever I want? How would I then change the key on the fly? by programming a second set of parameters and saving them? then can I use the stomp to go between them or do I need the fs-1?