A Drop of Oil for my Singer

February 19, 2020

I have been informed that my SInger is in pain (to my
defence: I’m deaf and my CI’s make everything sound equally
shitty, so I didn’t really notice) so off to the market to find her some oil! A little busride, exciting view from the window. Beep boop. Doing my best to ignore all the fabric… …and go straight to the stall I need. Oil acquired. Homeward (history) bound. Medicine for the machine! It’s not a Juul video if nothing is cut with scissors. Commence the healing, eliminate the squealing! I have consulted my hearing partner, he assures me she
sounds much better now! Let me know what you think! She needs a little rest now, until our next sewing
adventure.

• Reply Karin Baird February 18, 2020 at 7:24 pm

So sweet💞

• Reply charles southerton February 18, 2020 at 7:25 pm

yay no more squeaky noises, also where you from cause that fabric market looked huge

• Reply Charlotte Kikken February 18, 2020 at 7:27 pm

Och, die fantastische Eindhovense stoffenmarkt. <3

• Reply Mona S-J February 18, 2020 at 7:29 pm

That has done the trick! 😀 Lovely fabric market!

• Reply Marialla February 18, 2020 at 7:34 pm

OMG the gentle, humming, purring click of the machine is so satisfying now without the squeak! What a treasure this is!

• Reply Sara COSTURA February 18, 2020 at 7:36 pm

Ok

• Reply Tania Magic Fingers February 18, 2020 at 7:45 pm

Yea! No more sore throat and ache joints. I bet she runs a lot more smoothly now as well as singing beautifully. Loved the plasters 🙂 . Ohhh I just rewatched this with the sub-titles, as I didn't read your comment about the video until after watching it! Hilarious comments as always.

• Reply sadiejosiemom February 18, 2020 at 7:53 pm

Yea!! Whirring, purring and clacking but no squeaking!

• Reply Kitten MacDonald February 18, 2020 at 7:53 pm

Oh, that is a beautiful sound! The way she was sounding before was beginning to hurt my heart. LOL. So glad you were able to get her healed up nicely. : ) I bet she runs a lot smoother for you, too….which makes it a double bonus.

• Reply GiveMeStren February 18, 2020 at 7:54 pm

It was a bit squeaky in your last video! 😉 Glad it's sorted now as its a beautiful machine. 😘

• Reply alibabafurball February 18, 2020 at 7:57 pm

She is all better!! I have a machine that was not oiled and worked for a number of years before i got it. The machine had a black residue dust from the iron getting worn. It took a couple of times oiling it to keep it sewing good after that. There might be some of this residue in your machine, and if it seems to be going slow, it might be this. It will feel like the machine doesn't want to turn so easily. I love the bandages!! I know i could never just walk by fabric like you did lol. A true professional.

• Reply Jan Uzzell February 18, 2020 at 8:03 pm

Ahh! The purr of a happy machine 🙂 Happy sewing!

• Reply Britta Mai February 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm

Top! Now she purres like a cat.

• Reply rtmigneron February 18, 2020 at 8:13 pm

Beep boop

• Reply L G February 18, 2020 at 8:14 pm

I love your shoes!

• Reply city homestead February 18, 2020 at 8:19 pm

Hij of zij is weer beter, joepie. En ik vind je naaimachine zooooo mooi. Ik ben al heel lang op zoek naar een werkende trapnaaimachine die in mijn budget past. Ooit echt waar ooit kom ik 'm tegen.

Trouwens je had je rok aan, leuk

• Reply Amy V. February 18, 2020 at 8:30 pm

oddly satisfying ! I need to do the same.

• Reply rochele rubin February 18, 2020 at 8:34 pm

I oil my sewingmachine with one drop before every project.
    Waar is die lapjesmarkt?
    Happy sewing!!

• Reply Roxie Poe February 18, 2020 at 8:34 pm

This is so sweet. You are a great story teller. I find that it is the little moments that bring me joy.

• Reply TheSpiritOf76 February 18, 2020 at 8:38 pm

You also need to buy a lint brush, and remove the throat plate and clean out all the lint, as well as any lint around the bobbin race assembly. You also need to tilt the machine back, and oil the underside too! Tons of oil joints there! That will make a huge difference in the ease of use.

• Reply Laura Elizabeth February 18, 2020 at 8:56 pm

Aaah dat is veel beter

• Reply Helen W February 18, 2020 at 8:58 pm

You are such a sweetie, if I hadn't already subscribed I would do straight away! (Can one subscribe twice?)
    This was a lovely little vid & brought a smile to my face, thank you!

• Reply MLC February 18, 2020 at 9:09 pm

This is so darn cute! One of the greatest pleasure of owning and using antique machines, for me, is oiling and servicing them. So, here's the part where I become that commenter and offer up all my advice and info that you may not want, but I'm gonna give anyway because, well, I am, at heart, that commenter:

You may have done this but simply didn't show it, but don't forget to flip her up and get at her lovely underside ensuring that every moving point where metal meets metal gets a drop or two. Be sure to clean out around the feed dogs and keep the bobbin race lubricated. The hand crank, too, has oiling holes that should get some attention now and then. Also, straight up mineral oil, like the kind they give you to help you poop, is great for the treadle irons. It's thicker than machine oil and feeds and lubricates them much better.

• Reply As You Sew February 18, 2020 at 9:20 pm

My husband will be so thankful. LOL. I love your videos, but he hated having to listen to your beautiful machine. It's such a wonderful treasure. <3

• Reply Tina Johnston February 18, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Sooo much better! 🙂

• Reply Andrea Atkinson February 18, 2020 at 9:31 pm

My mother had a treadle singer sewing machine. Lovely to hear that sound again. She had it converted to electric and it just wasn’t the same again. I wish I knew what happened to that machine.

• Reply Stacy Moore February 18, 2020 at 9:42 pm

What delightful story telling! I watched twice, once without subtitles and once with, and enjoyed both versions thoroughly (differently, but equally as much). A surprising number of YouTube videos don’t actually require *watching*, and yours do—every second. They are so much fun because of that—thank you!

• Reply Sharon Fernandez February 18, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Those houses on the bus trip looked like English ones. Could have been Croydon….

• Reply SafiraSelena February 18, 2020 at 9:56 pm

I love your videos. Always so calm, relaxing with awesome products in the end. The market? It would cost me all the money 💰 😍

• Reply Emily Donnelly February 18, 2020 at 10:08 pm

im so excited to get mine up and going! My mom got me a 1919 singer off of a classifieds here for $100 canadian, and I ahve a new belt and bobbin wheels in the mail now 😀 two more days until they come and I can get mine in ship shape!

• Reply cincocats320 February 18, 2020 at 10:13 pm

So very satisfying! The squeek had a certain charm that I will miss, but I know over time it isn't great for the machine. And I'm super jealous of that outdoor market , it is amazing. Wish we had one like that where I live.

• Reply PrettyShepherd February 18, 2020 at 10:18 pm

Oh this was such an adorable video! You have such a knack for spinning stories. Congratulations! ☺️

• Reply Tegan Sutherland February 18, 2020 at 10:24 pm

She sounds so much better! I had wondered at the sound before, but I assumed it was louder due to the mic and it didn't sound like that in person haha. Also I am always super nervous about how to oil machines, so thank you for showing us this!

• Reply odalith cardenas February 18, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Aw I loved the squeaky noise. My grandmother had a sewing machine like that and your videos bring back so many memories. Thank you

• Reply Alison Layne February 18, 2020 at 10:33 pm

I like the bandaid on the outside case. It made me smile
    ThNk you.😀

• Reply M L February 18, 2020 at 10:35 pm

I remember getting my fingers trapped in my Oma's machine (that wheel!!!) because I wanted so badly to be a part of her clickity clacking creating that I couldn't keep my hands off. That machine was stolen from me a few years back so hearing this sound again is so wonderful.

• Reply Bonnie Peavy February 18, 2020 at 10:57 pm

Oh, that hit the spot! Gonna be all better soon, Miss Singer.

• Reply phaedra ellingson February 18, 2020 at 11:07 pm

Juul, my husband and I are certified sewing maching repairers(?) Please, Please don't use any kind of oil but "tri flow". It does not gum up your machine and you won't believe how much different your machine will work.
    Phaedra

• Reply Jenny Simmons February 18, 2020 at 11:28 pm

I love your videos. Lovely old machine sounds wonderful.

• Reply Rebecca Hurford February 18, 2020 at 11:36 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH for transforming a horrible sound to the nicest sound there is <3 I hope it makes your sewing easier too!

• Reply Onyx Uzomah February 18, 2020 at 11:53 pm

Clever title! And sweet vid😊

• Reply rudetuesday February 19, 2020 at 12:01 am

She sounds so much better! I can't wait for the next sewing video for the new soundtrack. 🙂

• Reply Kenneth Stensrud February 19, 2020 at 12:26 am

Dit was en gode meisje 😊😊😊😊😊. And of course you are dutch 😄. Where is the fabric market situated? I saw something similar in Utrecht, but it was about to close for the week end.

• Reply Ankharet Meredudd February 19, 2020 at 12:47 am

Oh my. loved this. And I am absolutely drooling over the market scenes.

• Reply Dora, the Quilter February 19, 2020 at 1:07 am

Absolutely lovely! You can also loosen the belt, tip the machine up and backward and oil it on the bottom.You can bestow a drop of oil on each swivel joint at the left and right sides of the treadle platform too. Singer recommended oiling the machine after every six hours of running time. Since that’s sometimes hard to keep track of, some other sewists do it after every three bobbins or so. I oil the irons themselves several times a year. My experience has been that when the machine and irons are well oiled, not only are they nearly silent, but also the hand wheel often needs no guidance to move in the correct direction. Everything operates very smoothly and almost effortlessly.
    That fabric/sewing district would have been very enticing to me.
    I love how quiet your videos are. Very soothing in a noisy world.

• Reply Stephanie Vine February 19, 2020 at 1:32 am

What a good mum you are! 🤕❤️

• Reply AriallaMacAllister February 19, 2020 at 1:59 am

Yay! I can tell she's feeling so much better now! She's such a lovely sewing machine <3

• Reply BratBusters Parenting February 19, 2020 at 2:22 am

Ahhhhh … that's better 🙂

• Reply mmw55122 February 19, 2020 at 2:26 am

Thank you for showing this! I have an old Singer like that and was wondering how to oil it. Does the bobbin mechanism or any part of the bottom of the machine need oiling?

• Reply Radish Pie February 19, 2020 at 2:48 am

Magical! Nothing like a treadle ❤️

• Reply Belinda Holdsworth February 19, 2020 at 3:31 am

Another lovely video…I love the market place you visited for the oil…perhaps one day you will show us more of the fabric and notions that you can get there? I don't use my vintage machine at all now. I should take her for a proper service tho'. There is an older gentleman who works on all different kinds of machines and services them at home now. He has been a sewing machine serviceman forever 🙂 Thank you for sharing your darling's oiling 🙂

• Reply Esmerelda Peabody Jones February 19, 2020 at 4:26 am

Yes! She's happily chugging along now.

• Reply Sue S. February 19, 2020 at 5:09 am

She sounds wonderful!

• Reply Canuck Nancy42 February 19, 2020 at 5:09 am

She sounds just tickety boo now! Glad you got her oiled and smooth again. That's quite the fabric market you were walking through. I can see it being seriously hard to ignore (and not want to buy) all the pretty things. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Barbara Arndt February 19, 2020 at 9:07 am

Using a syringe – een spuit – for your oil makes it less likely to spill some on the beautiful surface of your old lady.
    I love your videos just because of the silence. You show by doing and some writing what it is about and make it clear. Je hebt geen gebabbel nodig 😉